In the Fall of ’08, SRT Undergrads Nick Allen, Shawn Bernardo, and Philippe LeSaux performed a directed study with Professor Case to analyze the characteristics of the 114 studio with respect to drum room miking. Drums by Gavin Paddock. The goal was to answer the following questions:
- Where should I place my drums?
- Where should I place my room mikes?
They created a flash page so that the visitor can hear and compare the examples created for this project. With so much media, the page may take a minute or two to load.
- 3 drumset locations, 4 mono room mike locations, and 3 stereo room mike locations.
- A coincident pair followed the set to each position.
- The positions were chosen for practicality: these positions would be used in a real tracking situation.
- Essentially, we are not only miking the drums, we are miking “the room.”
- For more detailed session information click here